- Sort ; means that you remove all items from the workplace that are not needed for current production (or clerical) operations.
- Set In Order ; can be defined as arranging needed items so that they are easy to use and labeling them so that they are easy to find and put away.
- Shine ; means sweeping floors, wiping off machinery, and generally making sure that everything in the factory stays clean.
- Standarize ; is the method you use to maintain the first 3 pillars.
- Sustain ; means making a habit of properly maintaining correct procedures.
Many companies when introducing 5S is likely to encounter resistance, below are some common resistances :
- What's so great about Sort and Set in order ?
- Why clean when it just gets dirty again ?
- We already implemented Sirt and Set in order.
- We did 5S years ago.
- Sorting and Setting in order will not boost output and productivity.
- We're too busy for 5S activities.
- Why do we need to implement the 5 pillars ?
5S benefit to you :
- Give you an opportunity to provide creative input regarding how your workplace should be organized and laid out and how your worj should be done.
- Make your job more satisfying.
- Make your workplace more pleasent to work in.
- Remove many obstacles and frustrations in your work.
- Make it easier to communicate with everyone you work with.
- Help you know what you are expected to do, and when and where you are expected to do it.
5S benefit to your company :
- Lower defect and bring higher quality.
- Less time changeovers bring product diversification.
- Zero delays bring reliable deliveries.
- Lower waste bring lower costs.
- Zero red ingk bring corporate growth
- Zero injuries promote safety
- Zero breakdown bring better equipment availability.
- Zero complaints bring greater confidence and trust.
Good Luck , try now